Liquor Ban Areas
The consumption of alcohol is banned in Whakatane’s central business area and some areas on certain days and hours of the week.
The ban prohibits the consumption of liquor in, the bringing of liquor into, and the possession of liquor in the central business district and other areas.
In the Whakatane central business district, Hillcrest Road (including the Seaview Road car park), the Heads and River Edge Park, Kopeopeo business district, Otarawairere, Kohi Point Scenic Reserve, Taneatua, Murupara, Te Teko and Edgecumbe are subject to permanent restrictions at these times:
- 6pm Thursday - 6am Friday
- 6pm Friday - 6am Saturday
- 6pm Saturday - 6am Sunday
- 12 noon Sunday - 12 midnight Sunday
All public places in Ohope, including reserves, roads and beaches and all public places in the Coastlands/Piripai area including reserves, roads and beaches are subject to permanent restrictions at these times:
- 9pm Thursday - 6am Friday
- 9pm Friday - 6am Saturday
- 9pm Saturday - 6am Sunday
- 9pm Sunday - 12 midnight Sunday
There is a 24-hour liquor ban during the Christmas New Year Period, from 24 December to 5 January, in all areas stated above.
Liquor ban area map
The restricted areas are shaded pink on the Liquor Ban Areas Maps - this link opens the Bylaw which Maps.
Exemptions to liquor bans
- those public spaces where licensed premises are permitted and are clearly defined by the placement of tables and chairs outside
- people carrying unopened liquor from outside the restriction area to licensed premises
- people who buy liquor from an off-licence, as long as it’s removed from the area promptly and unopened
- residents and their guests carrying unopened liquor to and from their residences within the restriction area
For more information email the Liquor Licensing Inspector or call 07 306 0500.