Freedom Camping & Overnight Parking
The Council trial of overnight parking at two locations in Whakatane and Ohope has now ceased. Aniwhenua Reserve on the shores of Lake Aniwhenua in Galatea remains open for freedom camping.
Overnight parking is no longer available within the Whakatane District. The overnight parking areas in Whakatane town - McAlister St car park and Ohope Beach – Maraetotara Reserve have now been removed.
For information on Holiday Parks and Campsites in the Whakatane District, please see the camping grounds page on this site, visit the whakatane.com website, or contact the Visitor Information Centre.
Freedom Camping - Aniwhenua Reserve, Galatea
Free camping (tents and campervans) is available at Aniwhenua Reserve, Galatea near Murupara Town. This is the only Reserve designated for Freedom Camping in Whakatane District in response to the Government's Freedom Camping Bill.
- Seven night stay (maximum) in any four (4) week period
- Littering and/or depositing of litter is prohibited (Refuse transfer station is available in Murupara – Open Monday to Friday 7am - 9am & 3pm - 5:30pm; Saturday 10am - 5:30pm)
- Camping sites must be left in clean and tidy condition - please take all rubbish and refuse with you
- Campers must follow any direction(s) issued by an authorised officer
- Freedom camping is prohibited at all other locations with Whakatane District
For more infomation please contact the Council on 07 306 0500.